Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran war’s future in tense phone call

Trump and Netanyahu Diverge on Iran War’s Future in Tense Phone Call

Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran – During a tense exchange on Tuesday, US President Donald Trump spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, revealing stark differences in their approaches to the ongoing conflict with Iran, according to a US official. This wasn’t the first interaction between the leaders in recent days. Earlier in the week, when they conversed on Sunday, Trump indicated he might proceed with new targeted assaults on Iran, a plan that had already been labeled as “Operation Sledgehammer” by CNN. However, within 24 hours of that discussion, Trump unexpectedly announced a pause in the planned strikes, citing requests from allies in the Persian Gulf region, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

In the days following the halt, the Gulf nations intensified their collaboration with White House representatives and Pakistani mediators to craft a framework for renewed diplomatic engagement with Iran, the official said. When pressed about the progress of these talks, Trump told reporters on Wednesday morning that the United States was nearing a resolution with Iran. “We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens,” he stated. “We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” he added, hinting at the possibility of a more aggressive response if negotiations falter. “But hopefully that won’t happen,” he concluded, suggesting optimism about the diplomatic path.

Netanyahu, however, has remained skeptical of the delays, expressing frustration that the strikes were postponed. Israeli sources indicate the prime minister has been vocal in his dissatisfaction, arguing that the delay gives Iran an opportunity to strengthen its position. During the Tuesday conversation, Netanyahu reportedly emphasized that halting the attacks was a misstep, urging Trump to stick with the original plan. This disagreement underscores the growing tension between the two leaders, with Netanyahu advocating for immediate military action while Trump prioritizes diplomacy.

Axis first broke the news of the tense phone call, highlighting the strain in the relationship. An Israeli source close to the situation described Netanyahu’s determination to push for military strikes, even as Trump’s strategy shifts toward diplomatic outreach. The US official noted that Trump’s approach has caused concern within Israeli government circles, particularly among senior officials who believe Iran’s diplomatic resistance is undermining the country’s security interests. “There is a strong desire in the upper echelons of the Israeli government to resume military action,” the source said, adding that the delay has fueled frustration over Trump’s willingness to accommodate Iran’s tactics.

On Wednesday, Trump reiterated his stance, claiming the situation with Iran is “right on the borderline” and that additional time for negotiations could prevent casualties. “We’re not going to let them have it,” he said of Iran’s enriched uranium, asserting that the United States would seize it and likely destroy it afterward. This statement came amid reports that Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmaeil Baghaei, dismissed claims about the country’s nuclear activities as “media speculation.” Baghaei, as quoted by Iran’s state-affiliated news agency, stated that “none of the rumors” about a breakthrough between Tehran and Washington “are credible.”

The divergence in strategy between Trump and Netanyahu reflects broader disagreements on how to handle Iran. Trump officials acknowledged that the US seeks a diplomatic resolution, while Israel’s leadership favors a more aggressive posture. This tension has been evident in past interactions, with both sides recognizing their differing objectives. However, the recent phone call intensified these rifts, with Netanyahu’s frustration over Trump’s conditional threats becoming more pronounced. “He’s in the driver’s seat,” Trump remarked on Wednesday, suggesting his authority to dictate the course of action. “He’ll do whatever I want him to do,” the president said, implying he could still steer Israel toward military action if needed.

Iran’s Nuclear Posture and Diplomatic Stance

Reuters reported that Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei had issued instructions to keep the country’s near-weapons-grade uranium stockpile from being exported. However, a US official noted that this directive had not been formally conveyed to the White House by Thursday morning. The Iranian position on enriched uranium remains a key point of contention, with Netanyahu insisting that Iran’s refusal to relinquish its stockpile is a strategic advantage. “The delay benefits Iran,” an Israeli source said, citing the prime minister’s belief that negotiations risk allowing Tehran to consolidate its nuclear capabilities.

Meanwhile, Trump’s administration has maintained that Iran is still open to discussions, though the exact terms remain unclear. The US official described the current state of talks as “in the final stages,” with both sides working to bridge gaps. Despite this, Israeli officials have grown impatient, arguing that the Gulf allies’ intervention has slowed progress. “The gulf nations have been in close contact with White House and Pakistani mediators,” the official said, “but the core issue remains unresolved.” This sentiment aligns with Netanyahu’s broader concerns, as he continues to advocate for a more forceful response to Iran’s nuclear program.

The Israeli government’s upper levels have been vocal in their push for military action, with some officials criticizing Trump’s approach as too cautious. “There is a strong desire in the Israeli government to see strikes resume,” the source said, emphasizing the pressure on Netanyahu to align with his country’s military objectives. Yet, the prime minister’s frustration with Trump’s tactics is not new, as previous conversations have revealed similar tensions. “Netanyahu’s dissatisfaction with the US strategy has been consistent,” sources noted, highlighting the prime minister’s reliance on military pressure to counter Iran’s diplomatic maneuvers.

The situation has also sparked debates within the US about the effectiveness of the current approach. While Trump has framed the pause in strikes as a strategic move to secure a deal, some analysts argue it could be seen as a concession to Iran’s bargaining position. The inclusion of Pakistan as a mediator adds another layer to the complexities, with the country acting as a bridge between Washington and Tehran. “Pakistan’s role has been crucial in facilitating communication,” the US official said, though it remains unclear whether the talks will lead to a meaningful agreement.

As the negotiations continue, the stakes for both sides have risen. Iran’s refusal to cede its enriched uranium has become a symbol of its defiance, while Trump’s determination to avoid conflict underscores his broader foreign policy goals. “We’re trying to keep the war from escalating,” a White House spokesperson said, but the Israeli leadership sees this as a potential weakness. “If we don’t act now, we risk losing ground,” Netanyahu’s advisors warned. With the tension between the two leaders unresolved, the future of the Iran war hangs in the balance, dependent on whether diplomacy can outpace the urgency of military action.

“We’re not going to let them have it. We’ll probably destroy it after we get it.” – Donald Trump, commenting on Iran’s enriched uranium.

Netanyahu’s voice has also been heard in the aftermath of the phone call. The prime minister reportedly expressed his belief that the pause in strikes was a mistake, warning that it would embolden Iran. “The Iranians are gaining time, and that’s not good for us,” an Israeli official said, echoing Netanyahu’s concerns. As the negotiations unfold, the rift between Trump and Netanyahu could either narrow or widen, depending on the outcome of the talks. The White House has remained confident in its ability to broker a deal, but Israel’s leadership continues to push for a more aggressive posture, reflecting their national security priorities.

The ongoing discourse between the two leaders highlights the delicate balance of interests at play. While Trump seeks to avoid further escalation, Netanyahu insists that military action is necessary to ensure Iran’s compliance with international standards. This divergence, though evident in their conversations, underscores the challenges of aligning US and Israeli foreign policy in the face of a common adversary. As the situation develops, the world watches closely to see whether the Iran war will shift toward diplomacy or continue on its current trajectory, with Trump and Netanyahu’s contrasting views shaping the path forward.